Parent Information for IB Diploma Candidates
October 13, 2021
Frequently Asked Questions:
- Q: When do students take TOK?
- Juniors will take TOK in the Spring Semester
- Seniors will take TOK in the Fall Semester
- Q: Can you share past questions or examples of questions for past year essays?
- Sample Exhibition Prompts:
- 1. What counts as knowledge?
- 2. Are some types of knowledge more useful than others?
- 3. What features of knowledge have an impact on its reliability?
- Sample Essay Titles:
- “Others have seen what is and asked why. I have seen what could be and asked why not” (Pablo Picasso). Explore this distinction with reference to two areas of knowledge.
- “The role of analogy is to aid understanding rather than to provide justification.” To what extent do you agree with this statement?
- NOTE: The class of 2022 is the first with a new TOK curriculum from IB. The overall essay assessment will stay the same, however, the questions may be slightly different as a result.
CAS and EE Questions
- Q: Do jobs count towards CAS?
- No, jobs do not count towards CAS. Anything that students get paid for does not count as CAS.
- Q: CAS Project? When is that due?
- The CAS Project is due at the completion of the portfolio in April of senior year. Most students choose to complete the CAS project in the summer between their junior and senior year or in their senior year.
- Q: Can the CAS project be the same project a Girl Scout or Boy Scout is working on for their Gold or Eagle Award?
- Absolutely! These are great examples of projects that have the level of planning and reflection that the CAS project requires.
- Q: Where do I find more information about EE and CAS?
- The EE and CAS guides with all of the details from IB are posted to the IB Diploma Schoology pages (one for each grade level). All prospective IB diploma students have access to their grade level page.
- Q: For the CAS Project they need to choose a supervisor, who could the supervisor be if the project is done during summertime between junior and senior year?
- Anyone who has a supervisory role in the student’s work can be the supervisor. There is no requirement for the supervisor to be a school employee. The only restriction is that no direct family members may serve as supervisors.
- Q: What is the average IB diploma score achieved in past years?
- 30-33 points
- Q: When do you get the results of the IB, knowing if they have the diploma or not?
- Exam scores come out on July 6th from IB
- Q: Do you have any info on the impact of IB scores at major universities in the area?
- Schools in VA are knowledgeable about the IB program
- IB students are looked favorably upon by schools in the region
- Depending on the school different scores (and in some cases only HL courses) are needed to earn college credit
- Regardless - the skills learned in the IB program are beneficial for college readiness